Georgetown University Dance Company
Virtual Hybrid Auditions for the 2021-22 Season
(rev. August 1, 2021)
Thank you so much for your interest in the Georgetown University Dance Company (GUDC)!
Our audition process will be composed of two parts:
- Video submissions — due no later than August 28 at 5 p.m. ET
Submission opens August 1, 2021. Interested students should fill out an application form, which will include a section for students to share a link to their dance sample video (YouTube link, Google drive link).
Video Requirements & Guidelines:
Length: Your video should be at least 3 minutes in length and must not exceed 6 minutes.
Dancers: Please be sure that the only dancer that appears in the video is you, the applicant. If this is impossible, please make sure you give clear instructions about your spatial positioning in the video.
Your video must include:
- Footage of yourself performing 2 short class exercises by our Faculty Artistic Director (Link to video tutorial).
- 30 seconds of improvisation in any dance style of your choice.
- Note: Improvisation in dance is the process of spontaneously creating movement, without any pre-choreographing. In this part of the audition, we will be looking at the ways in which you creatively explore dance movement. The improvisation section does not have to look “pretty” or include “tricks.”
You may optionally include:
- A self or instructor choreographed solo (in your preferred dance style).
- Additional sample class work (ballet barre, modern floor work, etc.) from a class you’ve taken or from any dance tutorial/class video featured on YouTube.
Important notes/additional requirements (Video Application):
- Please do NOT send links to multiple videos. If you are sending a video with multiple sections, please edit the sections together to compose 1 video.
- When filming your dance video, please be sure that your recording device is set up to capture your entire body (as much as possible).
- To ensure your privacy, videos should be uploaded to online platforms as “unlisted.” The quality of the video will not be considered in evaluation (does not need to be professionally shot/edited). The dancer’s dancing space will not be considered in evaluation (i.e. does not need to take place in a dance studio or stage). Quality of dancing by candidate will be the only evaluation criteria of the video.
- You will have another opportunity to showcase your dancing during the audition class portion in-person or on Zoom on August 29, 2021 from 2-5 p.m. ET (see below).
2. Audition Class session — Tentative due to potential COVID-related restrictions
All applicants will receive notice about part 2 of the audition once more details are finalized. Please actively check your Georgetown emails as we get closer to the start of the semester. Information will also be posted on our Instagram page and website (linked below).
If you have any other questions or would like further information about the company:
- Virtual “office hours,” where company members will be present to answer any questions about the audition process or GUDC in general, will be held via Zoom at https://georgetown.zoom.us/j/97862131469 on the following dates:
- Thurs., Aug 12, 2021 from 9-10 a.m. ET
- Fri. Aug 20, 2021 from 4-5 p.m. ET
- Tues. Aug 24, 2021 from 11 a.m.-12 p.m. ET
- Performing Arts open house – TBD
Check out our social media channels:
- Facebook: Georgetown University Dance Company
- Instagram: @gudanceco
- Youtube: Georgetown University Dance Company
- Website: https://georgetownuniversitydancecompany.wordpress.com/
- Email email@example.com at any time!
Black Movements Dance Theatre (BMDT)
Virtual Audition and In-Person Audition
You may submit your video audition Aug 28 – Sept 1, 2021. (The submission deadline is 5:00 p.m. Sept 1). Submit all videos to: firstname.lastname@example.org (new window)
Your video must be a solo performance of your own choosing as well as a segment of you performing BMDT choreography. The link to choreography is below.
Link to BMDT Choreography:
BMDT Spring 2021 Audition Video with Music (new window)
BMDT IN-PERSON AUDITION
Healey Family Student Center, Studio A at 8:00 p.m. ( Studio Open 7:30 p.m.)
Please follow the directions of the instructor for social distancing and audition guidelines.
* MASKS ARE REQUIRED*
Check back for more auditions to be posted.