Georgetown University Dance Company Virtual Auditions
for the 2020-21 Season
In light of the virtual nature of the semester and the need to maintain social distancing for the health and safety of our community, we will be holding our auditions virtually this year. Please note: returning members do not need to audition again, but are required to attend part 2 of the audition.
Our virtual audition process will be composed of two parts:
- Video submissions –due no later than August 29th at 5 p.m. (EDT)
Submission of application materials opens August 1, 2020. Interested students should fill out an application form, which will include a section for students to share a link to their dance video (Youtube link, Google drive link). Before submitting your application, please be sure to review the following video requirements and guidelines.
Video Requirements & Guidelines:
Length: Your video should be at least 1 1/2 – 2 minutes in length and must not exceed 5 minutes.
Dancers: Please be sure that the only dancer appearing in the video is you, the applicant. If this is impossible, please make sure you give clear instructions about your spatial positioning in the video.
Your video must include:
- Footage of yourself performing a phrase by our Faculty Artistic Director (please visit the audition page on our website for a video tutorial)
- At least 30 additional seconds of dance improvisation which follows the end of the Faculty Artistic Director’s phrase.
You may optionally include:
- A self or instructor choreographed solo (in your preferred technical style).
- Sample class work (ballet barre, modern floor work, etc.) from a class you’ve taken or from any dance tutorial/class video featured on YouTube.
Important notes/additional requirements:
- Please do NOT send links to multiple videos. If you are sending a video with multiple sections, please edit the sections together to combine into 1 video.
- If you are taping your dance video, please be sure that your recording device is set up to capture your entire body (as much as possible).
- To ensure your privacy, videos should be uploaded to online platforms as “unlisted.” The quality of the video will not be considered in evaluation (does not need to be professionally shot/edited). The dancer’s dancing space will not be considered in evaluation (i.e. does not need to take place in a dance studio or stage). Quality of dancing by candidate will be the only evaluation criteria of the video.
- You will have another opportunity to showcase your dancing during the Zoom portion of the audition on August 30, 2020 from 2:00-3:30 p.m. via Zoom (see below).
- Live Zoom session — Sunday, August 30th from 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. (EDT)
Students can expect to participate in an abbreviated dance class on Zoom. The class includes learning and performing select ballet, modern, or jazz exercises in small groups. Please wear ballet slippers, a leotard and tights, or fitted clothing suitable for dancing for this session. In addition, students will also participate in a conversation with a returning member of the company. We will send a Zoom link and reminder emails to the @georgetown.edu email address of all applicants who have submitted a video by the August 29th deadline.
If you have any other questions or would like further information about the company:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time!
Check out our social media channels:
- Facebook: Georgetown University Dance Company
- Instagram: @gudanceco
- Youtube: Georgetown University Dance Company
- Website: https://georgetownuniversitydancecompany.wordpress.com/
Ritmo y Sabor
Monday, September 7, 2020 from 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
Location: Zoom ID: 96024653808
Wednesday, September 9, 2020 from 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
Location: Zoom ID: 94725615742
Monday, September 14 from 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
Wear athletic clothing to dance and find an open space. We will provide a tutorial video of the tryout choreography and will give you two hours to watch it and send us a video back of your choreo, freestyle, and telling us about yourself.
Check back for more auditions to be posted.